Wednesday, September 3, 2008

TAKING AIM AT THE RNC - DISPATCH 2

The Elephant Strikes Back

It seems the Republican Party doesn’t like to have their dirty laundry aired in public. They’d like to keep their dirty little secrets just that - dirty, little, and secret. Can't say as I blame 'em. Could be they don't like people prying into other's private lives[1]. Or could be they're not keen on looking like a criminal gang of hypocrites. But hey, isn't this the party of Harding, Hoover, Nixon, Reagan, and W? I say it's common knowledge by this point.

Perhaps I should have waited to post my first dispatch until after the convention. Or maybe I should be grateful that my spurious press pass was revoked. It saved me from the bitter struggle of attempting to stay upright and awake during a triple threat onslaught of George W. Bush, Jumping Joe Lieberman, and Fred Thompson. Any one of 'em serves up a heavyweight bout of boredom. All three in quick succession could very well be fatal.

I ended up watching the speeches on TV in a local sport's bar, Malina’s, a scene of much local interest in recent weeks. Seems a young patron started trouble with the wrong guy and ended up with a shiv in his gullet. Nobody’s been arrested, the cops suspect the regulars are protecting one of their own. Happens all the time on the Range. C'est la vie. My advice: don't kick shit you can't carry.

Malina’s was the closest thing I could get to a sense of danger in a town that’s more locked down than Leavenworth. And even that was weak by most standards. Had I yelled out my support for Obama, I would have had to fight my way out of there. I decided to keep my mouth shut and bellied up to the bar, praying for CSPAN. I got FOX NEWS, and quickly realized that a bar is not just the best place to enjoy a Republican Convention, it's the ONLY place.

I got into it pretty good. So much so that I was able to laugh at that lame duck when he quacked about the "angry left" with his trademark murderous contempt. By the time "Traitor Joe" took the stage, I was less focused on his "maverick blah blah blah" than I was on his shocking resemblance to Droopy. Juvenile, I know, but so is the whole Republican political agenda. And maybe it was the Beast playing tricks on me, but I swear to God when I closed my eyes during the Fred Thompson speech, I thought that TV's Dr. Phil was addressing the rabid Republican hoard.

Another cheap smile, perhaps, but one much needed in a world where a McCain-Palin ticket is considered anything more than the whispy death throe of a once-powerful tyrant.

_________________________________________________
[1] Except, of course, in public policy that dictates Governmental involvement in a woman’s most private decision and a gay couple’s civil rights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

booze and politics don't mix. ask carter's brother.

THE RIFLEMAN said...

I believe they call it the Teddy Kennedy Maxim.